The Laura Flanders Show
FT $45-55k (depending on experience)
This position is designed to play an integral role within The Laura Flanders Show team, overseeing audience growth and using audience feedback to shape content production and distribution. The role intersects with fundraising and managerial duties, including but not limited to: utilizing digital distribution platforms (social media, website, podcast, video) to run a minimum of two fundraising drives per year; maintaining office needs such as the Google Drive and meeting arrangements; and keeping track of all promotional initiatives for the show.
This is an interfacing position, meaning that we are seeking candidates who will be interested in meeting and speaking to many different groups of people. This is also an ideal position for someone who is embedded in intersectional Left politics and interested in developing their understanding of issues such as climate change, capitalism, and art with that lens. The perfect candidate will be able to provide creative direction for the show, from visual to content.
In other words, the perfect candidate might be someone who reads a lot; is a news junkie; likes to do several different things; is an organizer; enjoys meeting people; enjoys building systems; understands that media is a plural noun and does not begin/end with 9-5.
Tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing content production for all digital platforms, and tracking analytics for those platforms
- Coordinating between online fundraising initiatives and general audience
- Managing weekly correspondence with audience and members
- Designing and tracking all promotional materials such as banners, business cards etc.
- Attending talks, meetings, events, and more to carry a sense of political landscape in New York City and elsewhere
- Designing, maintaining and supplying our branding materials, such as style guide, logos, fonts, etc to all who need them
- Utilizing content to be able to oversee distribution on multiple digital platforms, including website, Youtube and Patreon
- Launch and maintain audience engagement initiatives with friends of the show, such as screenings
- Provide administrative assistance in the form of maintaining Google Drive and website
- Oversee hiring of seasonal interns for production, promotion and audio teams
- Work Experience: 2+ years in communication with managerial and administrative responsibility.
- Deep familiarity with contemporary social and economic justice movements issues
- Proven track record of producing original digital content with unique and creative angles on deadline.
- Technical skills: listed below
- Non-Technical Skills: Strong writing, time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and ability to work closely with others on several projects at once.
- Strong editorial judgment
- Strong creativity skills
Must be familiar with:
- Google Drive
- Ida B. Wells
Plus, but not necessary:
- iPower (Web Domains/Hosting)
- Podcast Platforms
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please email your resume, a cover letter, and a link to your reel/work as well as two references with subject line: COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a full time position based in New York, at our downtown Brooklyn office with some flexibility. Competitive non-profit salary and contribution towards health coverage and pension plan. The Laura Flanders Show is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ persons and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Launched on May 12, 2008 as GRITtv, The Laura Flanders Show features innovative thinkers and doers with reality based strategies for realizing radical change. The LF Show reaches millions of viewers weekly on CUNY TV (the public university channel in New York), KCET/LinkTV and Free Speech TV on Dish Network and DIRECTV, on cable stations nationwide, online and as a radio show/podcast.